Job Title – Design Engineer
Location – Sheffield / UK Flexible
Salary - £45-£55k DOE
We’re working with a fast-growing innovative business which designs, builds, operates, maintains and finances low carbon district energy networks and building energy systems for communities. They work with local authorities, developers, house builders and property owners to reduce costs, energy consumption and carbon emissions through innovative design and proactive intelligence led system operations and optimisation.
With the decarbonisation of our heating systems now becoming a national imperative they are experiencing rapid growth in demand for the design, build, operation, and maintenance of low carbon district heating systems and for the decarbonization of existing building heating systems, especially to replace distributed fossil fuel heating with centralised low carbon heat generation.
The Role –
We are seeking a highly flexible, self-starting, post-graduate engineer with demonstrative experience in the design of Mechanical Building Services. You would be expected to visit prospective client sites and active construction sites throughout the UK from time to time.
This position will differ from conventional design responsibilities in that the engineer will be given the opportunity to ‘own’ a design project from inception through to operation. Following the handover to our Operations Team, the engineer will continue to monitor and evaluate feedback from the Operations Team to help refine and improve the design and all future designs.
Specific tasks –
- Evaluation of project scope and design inception
- The design and implementation of medium to large scale low carbon energy systems, heat distribution networks, controls, plant-rooms, thermal storage and fuel storage.
- The production of detailed drawings, reports and specifications.
- Surveying and evaluating existing buildings energy systems.
- Production of viability and feasibility reports of energy systems
- Regular on site evaluation to ensure design compliance during construction phase
- Post construction evaluation and reporting
- Represent the business across technical for a
About you –
- Degree qualified in Mechanical, Building Services or Energy Engineering.
- 3-5 years post graduate experience in relevant fields of building services engineering design
- Highly numerate and with a comprehensive understanding of heat transfer, fluid mechanics and fluid hydraulics.
- Experience in the design of mechanical services for multi-apartment buildings.
- Experience of energy centre mechanical services design, such as district heating, CHP and renewables
- Experience in the deployment of low carbon energy sources such as ASHP and GSHP
- A broad understanding of energy legislation and compliance
- Ability to produce detailed schematic representations of heating, DHW, chilled water, ventilation and control systems.
- Understanding of Heat and Utility Networks is desirable.
- Highly competent in AutoCAD, Revit and Procore
- Able to work as a member of a team.
- Excellent communication and presentations skills, written and in meetings.
- Good organisational, time management and planning.
- Creative, inquisitive and enjoys solving problems.
- Willingness to question conventional design methods
The Benefits –
- Remuneration: competitive with market. Between £45k-£55k depending on experience.
- Discretionary bonus based on individual and business performance.
- Nominally based in Sheffield but location flexible and can consider remote and flexible arrangements.
- Permanent full time but we would consider a shorter working week and can be flexible.
- Holidays 25 days a year plus stats.
- Pension plan provision.
- Company phone, laptop etc.
- Continuing learning and development opportunities.
Interested? Apply today with your CV